How to write a compare and contrast essay: tips you need to know
One of the skills that you need to learn is writing a compare and contrast essay. Just like other types of essays, there are specific guidelines and specifications that you need to follow. Compare and contrast essay writing is not very easy, truth be told. To help you, we will be tackling everything you need to know about compare and contrast essay format, outline, introduction, compare and contrast essay conclusion and many more.
Definition of compare and contrast essay
Now, it is time to define compare and contrast essay. As the name implies, it is a type of essay in which you compare or contrast a given topic. Basically, when writing the compare essay, you need to highlight similarities while for the contrast essay, you need to give emphasis on the differences.
If you need compare and contrast essay help, you are in the right place. Here at xxx.com, we can provide you all your needs such as compare and contrast essay introduction example, compare and contrast essay outlines, guidance in writing a compare and contrast essay example and even compare and contrast art essay. You do not need to worry anymore if you do not have that writing flair. Do not waste your time if you honestly know that you will not come up with a very good essay; let us do the job for you.
Compare and contrast essay tips for everyone
If you have decided that you will write your own essay, here are some of the tips, points and guidelines that you may want to follow:
- Do not forget the main reason why you are writing the essay. Just like what we have mentioned earlier, it is all about evaluating the similarities or differences of two things or topics. This is important so that you will know what your essay should contain.
- You should know the difference between the two. As mentioned above, in a comparison essay, you will need to compare two things by finding their similarities. You need to choose two things or topics and tackle how much similar both of them to each other. On the other hand, in a contrast essay, you need to contrast two things by finding their differences. You need to find two similar things or topics and discuss how different they are to one another.
- Always brainstorm so that you will come up with good ideas. In general, you need to come up with at least 3 main points to strengthen what you really want to discuss.
- Formulate a good argument. This is very important since it will be the basis of your essay. Pick two good topics that you know can interest you to write and can also interest your readers to enjoy what you have written. For example, you can pick two similar movies, two novels or two diet programs. The topics can be anything under the sun.
- Just like in any writing assignment, you need to do your research. This is important in order to know how much similar or how much different the two topics that you have chosen. Collect as many sources as you can to support your arguments. Just make sure that all the sources that you have collected are applicable for the points that you wish to tackle.
- When collecting sources, make sure that they are reliable. You should choose sources that are credible. The internet may contain a lot of supporting information for almost anything under the sun. However, you should be careful of the websites that you use.
- Come up with a good thesis statement. This is vital in order to guide your reader on what your essay is all about. The thesis statement will tell the readers how the two topics or subjects that you have chosen are similar or different. Generally, you need to have at least 3 similarities and differences.
- Do an outline for your essay. If you have an outline, your essay will not missed out important points. Moreover, an outline can help you be organized when it comes to your ideas.
- There are four main parts when it comes to the compare and contrast essay. The first part is the introduction. This part contains the most basic information about the topics that are compared or contrasted. It will also contain your thesis or argument. The second part is the body. The body tackles all the arguments of the essay. Because of this, it is considered and the bulk of your writing assignment. The body should have a very good analysis and evaluation. The next part of the essay is the competitive arguments. For this part, you can tackle the counter-arguments that you find. If you found flaws in these arguments, you also need to tackle them. Last, but definitely not the least, is the conclusion. For this part, you need to restate your thesis statement. Also, you need to discuss the summary of the evidences that you have presented.
- Make sure that you write your essay from scratch. Never copy directly from your sources. You need to express your own ideas. Do not forget to cite your sources. This is important to prevent plagiarism.
- It is important that you have a clear essay structure. Do not let your arguments confuse your readers.
- When writing a compare/contrast essay, you need to be formal. Unless, of course, if your professors stated other specifications.
There you have it! These are just some of the important things that you need to remember when doing a compare or contrast essay. If you really think that you do not have what it takes to write a good essay, do not hesitate to ask for help. It will be better to delegate the writing task that you have instead of wasting your time and not get the nod of your professor.
Do not know exactly what you need?
To make sure we have the writer for your assignment, send us everything you have and our expert writers will evaluate your request and generate a free quote!Free Quote